Sunday, August 18, 2013

1987 AP exam notes (AP English)

*Multiple Choice
-the first selection wasn't that difficult to understand if you read carefully. Like any other selection on other AP tests.
-Both poems were really hard for me to understand. I feel like if I knew the poetry terms better, I could've have gotten more questions right.
-Since the poems required me to REALLY understand the poem in order to answer the questions correctly, I had to re-read the poems again and that was time consuming. Since I was timing myself, I had to guess in the last few questions which I didn't really do well in.
*Essays
-even though I did not fully understand the first selection, I used Pathos and dialogue as the techniques Eliot used and since I am comfortable with these two, I was able to make a coherent essay in the 35 minutes the prompt said.  
-For the second essay, I choose The Grapes of Wrath. I read this book last year and the details weren't that clear to me. Even though I managed to write a 4 paragraph essay on this one, I feel like I could improve it.

-for both essays I have more than enough time to finish. That’s why I feel like I did a poor job on them. 

The essays I analyzed belong to Marisol Duarte.
1987 essay Evaluations
Essay 1:
-gives examples of devices used to convey the author's views
-quotes the text
-the analysis is superficial
-I would give this a 4-5 because it can be understood but it does not analyze the text deeply

Essay 2:
-does not specify what change is being promoted
-gives examples of changes, but they were not included in the introductory paragraph
-does not analyze the text deeply
-the essay does not show deep understanding of the message the book was portraying
-I would give this essay a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment