Monday, February 24, 2014

Essay 1

Should the U.S  have more than one national language? Why? 

according to us.gov, the United States has no official language. Therefore, it would not make sense to add an official language. If it were to have one, the most logical thing to do would be to have more than one. Due to the diversity of the population, having one national language would exclude immigrants who do not speak English. 

According to the 2010 census, there is 229 million English speaking people living in the US and 35 million people speaking Spanish. The third language used is some form of Chinese language with 2.8 million people. 

In a way, having one national language would unite the people of the United States and help people have a better communication. If there was to be one official language, it can be infer that it would be English. Having English as the official language would not really change anything because it is the primary language language in the US and 27 states including California have English as their official language.

Even though having more than one national language would not not have a big impact on the population, it would symbolize the acceptance of diversity, which is why the US is known for, and it would celebrate the different languages spoken in the US. 

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to work with you on my paper, my subject is "freedom". I chose you based on your chosen project subjects, language, culture, and religion. I think that you would be able to provide me with information or opinions on your subject that relates to mine which would make it an even broader addressal of freedom. My topic is very broad and confusing to begin with, but with various points of reference, I think it can come together better with input from you. If you think you can help me, let me know. Thank you.

    Dale Bebeau

    ReplyDelete